Monday 4 December 2006

Put a dollar into the machine...





Dear blog,
I've had a funny feeling in the bottom left corner of my mouth all day. It's not one of those "ha ha" funny feelings though, more of a "I need to shove my tongue up against the side of my mouth and rub it in a soothing counterclockwise rotation" sort of feeling.
Anyways, what's it like being a blog--I've always been a bit curious. I mean, how do the letters that got left out feel? E gets alot of usage elsewhere(used six times in that short phrase alone), but W sometimes gets the short end of the letter usage spectrum-pedulum-decimal scale.
Speaking of scales, I've been curious all day about the Dewey Decimal System. I did a bit of research and here's what I've learned:

Melvil Dewey was born in New York on the tenth of December, 1851. He went to school and eventually became a librarian at Amherst College. In 1876, he published an important book, one that would TOTALLY change the way books were arranged in libraries. Through this book Dewey established the Dewey Decimal System. Dewey did other things to affect the ways libraries operate today. He helped found the American Library Association in 1876 and established the first professional library school in the United States in 1887. Other associations Dewey was involved with include the Children's Library Association, the Association of State Librarians, and the American Library Institute. He also edited Library Journal (with which Middletown Thrall library is a subscriber). Dewey died in 1931, but his revolutionary organization system still stands today as one of the most convenient and comprehensive tools today helping librarians and readers locate and classify information.






And so...I introduce to you...






THE MELVIL DEWEY 155TH BIRTHDAY BASH.101206.R2!!!!




...more details to come so don't touch that dial!





2 comments:

Caitie said...

I can hardly contain myself. The tenth, let's see...that leaves 5 days for planning. Better get cracking.

emily michelle said...

Are you going to grow a beard like his for the party? I mean, the picture of you at the bottom of your blog makes you look like someone who would have no problem growing a beard, or at least a sketchy French moustache.